Welcome to NEW Academy’s Parent Center!
The Parent Center focuses on creating a welcoming environment to all of our parents! NACP’s Parent Center was created with the purpose of increasing parent and family involvement at our school, to establish effective communication between home and school, and to improve community outreach and training opportunities for parents and families. Parent involvement is linked to student academic success! We believe this will have a positive impact on student academic performance and their wellbeing.
Our Parent Center Liaison engages with and involves parents in the school community, shares resources to increase student studies at home, engages parents in educational trainings, and encourages parents to be proactive in school advisory councils and other school volunteer opportunities.
N.E.W. Academy Canoga Park suggests 20 hours of parent participation.
Here are a few ways on how you can be part of your child's education and receive hours of participation:
- Donations- Donations are extremely appreciated and count towards your hours. You can donate items such as: classroom supplies, used uniforms that are in good condition, individually wrapped snacks for classroom birthday celebrations & more!
- Workshops: Our Parent Center has some new and returning workshops that are scheduled throughout the school year! All workshops will be virtual this year. We encourage all of our parents to participate in these FREE workshops! Virtual workshops can increase parent participation this year because if you are at work, for example, you can easily log-in through your phone or computer and listen to the class while you work (if possible)! Don't forget to write your child's name in the chat, so that your attendance and hours can be recorded!
- Teacher Assistance: Be proactive and let your teacher know that they can count on you for any take-home project assistance. Parents can help out cutting, gluing, sorting math mats or Scholastic magazines & much more!
- School Events: Parents get hours for attending school events/activities such as: Orientation, Back 2 School Night, Coffee With The Principal, & Celebrations. When Parent-Teacher Conferences come around, you will get hours for coming to your scheduled conference! Always be sure to sign-in, so that your attendance and hours can be recorded.
EVENTS AND WORKSHOPS
Our Parent Center has hosted a variety of events such as:
- A special author meet-and-greet
- 6ft Holiday Tree give-away
- Nutrition Classes provided by CSUN, Promoters For Better Health, and City of Hope
- Office mechanics training
- NACP Celebrated National School Choice Week
- NACP participated in a BOX TOPS fundraiser and organized “bundling parties”
- Loaned Literacy Backpack check-out “ Mommy and me, Please Read to Me”
- Registration workshop for the N.E.W. Family Source Center
- Healthy Heart workshop provided by The American Heart Association
- Mental Health workshop provided by The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health
- CABE’s Project2inspire workshop (Mastery Level)
- CABE’s Project2inspire workshop (Advanced Leadership Level)
- Safe & Strong Parenting Classes by ACE
- Helpful tools to prepare our students for state tests
- Math Workshops
- Reading workshops to help increase their child’s reading level
- Middle School Fairs
- Volunteer opportunities for school events, preparation for teacher projects, assisting in library
activities, and more!
Parents have published school blogs sharing their experiences at our school on LA COMADRE website with DEL SOL GROUP.
Follow us on our social media!