Welcome to NEW Academy’s Parent Center!
The Parent Center focuses on creating a welcoming environment for all of our parents! NACP’s Parent Center was created with the purpose of increasing parent and family involvement at our school, to establish effective communication between home and school, and to improve community outreach and training opportunities for parents and families. Parent involvement is linked to student academic success! We believe this will have a positive impact on student academic performance and their wellbeing.
Our Parent Center Liaison engages with and involves parents in the school community, shares resources to increase student studies at home, engages parents in educational training, and encourages parents to be proactive in school advisory councils and other school volunteer opportunities.
N.E.W. Academy Canoga Park suggests 20 hours of parent participation.
Here are a few ways our parents can help support their child's education and receive hours of participation:
- Donations: Donations are extremely appreciated and count towards your hours. You can donate items such as: classroom supplies, used uniforms that are in good condition, individually wrapped snacks for classroom birthday celebrations, school concert decorations & more!
- Workshops: Our Parent Center has some new and returning workshops that are scheduled throughout the school year! All workshops are free for our families and will be hosted virtually this year via ZOOM. We encourage all of our parents to participate and learn with organizations and leaders in the community! We understand many of our parents are at work and attending these workshops may be conflicting with your schedule. This past year, our Parent Center experienced an increase in parent participation, since going virtual! Parents who were at work and not able to attend our in-person workshops have now benefitted from virtual classes. ZOOM has helped break this barrier and extend the learning to our working families, who have now been able to join our session and listen to presentations as they continue to work.
- Teacher Assistance: Be proactive and let your teacher know that you are available for any take-home project assistance. Parents can help out cutting, gluing, sorting math mats or Scholastic magazines at home & much more!
- School Events: Parents also add to their hours by attending school events and/or activities such as: Orientation, Back to School Night, & Coffee With The Principal.
EVENTS AND WORKSHOPS
Our Parent Center has hosted a variety of events such as:
- A special author meet-and-greet
- 6ft Holiday Tree give-away
- Nutrition Classes provided by CSUN and City of Hope
- Cancer Awareness and Prevention Health classes by Promoters for Better Health
- (Breast Cancer, HPV, COVID-19, Diabetes, Alzheimer, & other cancers)
- Office mechanics training
- NACP Celebrated National School Choice Week
- NACP participated in a BOX TOPS fundraiser and organized “bundling parties”
- Loaned Literacy Backpack check-out “ Mommy and me, Please Read to Me”
- Registration assistance for N.E.W. Family Source Center
- Healthy Heart workshops provided by The American Heart Association
- Mental Health workshops provided by The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health
- CABE’s Project2inspire (Mastery Level)
- CABE’s Project2inspire (Advanced Leadership Level)
- Safe & Strong Parenting Classes by ACE
- Provided helpful tools and resources to prepare our students for state tests
- Math Workshops
- Reading workshops to help increase their child’s reading level
- Middle School Fair
- Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month- Parent Presentations
- Volunteer opportunities for school events, preparation for teacher projects, assisting in library activities, and more!
We are very grateful for our families and the talents that they bring to NACP. Our parents have published their very own school blogs where they share their experiences here at N.E.W. Academy!
Check them out:
Follow us on our social media!
REMIND APP: Join Class Code @newdolphin
PARENTSQUARE APP: Sign-in with your phone number